Sunday, March 24, 2013

The first blog entry - about my motivation


The title of this blog is ‘Rethink your IT projects’ and might sound a bit ambitious. Ok fair enough, but after more than 15 years of working as a project manager in many IT projects of all flavors I decided to open this blog to discuss my thoughts with you.

Rethinking will help for sure in future projects, but it is in in a first place reflecting about past projects and their decision or even turning points, about conflicting interests to be aligned within these projects 
and all other sorts of issues you come across in your life as a project member. 

An additional and important reason for this blog is to share with you my thoughts and my perception on the evolution of project management in the past fifteen years. How did project management as a discipline evolve and what other changes did occur within this period of time. In short I strongly believe that project management became even more challenging since I started to work as an IT project manager back in 1998.

Definitely not a reason to open this blog is that I would think to have managed my projects at the very state of the art or that I would want you to learn some hard facts from my experiences. No, in fact I think you will need to do your own experiences, but while doing so you might recognize what I call typical project patterns. They are again and again occurring turning points when you should decide not knowing what are the best next steps and what recommendations you should give to the steering bodies. You only know that a decision is needed. Never mind, even after fifteen years of intense experience this is not completely different. The challenges remain the same.

In short this blog is about elaborating and discussing project patterns. Typically I will dedicate one subject to each blog entry and you can expect my blogs roughly in a bi-weekly rhythm. Follow @felixhonold on Twitter to see what's up.

If you are interested in a particular subject … even better …. please let me know. . Let’s see where it takes us from here. Maybe we even discover some dos and don’ts in project management.

No comments:

Post a Comment